Competency based learning is a model of learning design that focuses on the ability of the students based on how they perform in certain activities. It can be quite complex due to the fact that each individual student will have their own competencies, and therefore will need their own requirements met and their own learning path in order to succeed.
There are three main aspects to consider when designing competency-based learning:
- Evaluation – the design should begin with an evaluation of the current abilities of your learners. This can be facilitated with online quizzes, or through one-to-one sessions to gain a further understanding of your students.
- Personalisation – the competency-based learning should be able to be personalised to your student’s requirements based on the evaluation carried out.
- Tracking progress – keeping track of your students’ progress is vital to ensure that the gaps in their learning are being fulfilled. This could be done by carrying out discussions with your students, or through assessment.
Once the core skills required for the module have been identified, learning modules and assessments can be created. This can include creating videos to present the content, small snippets of information and any other learning materials which coincide with the core competencies.
What are the benefits of competency-based learning?
There are a range of different benefits of competency-based learning, for example:
- It gives you the opportunity to address the exact needs of your students by giving them a more personalised approach.
- It is an effective use of learning materials and learning time. If you personalise the learning content based on the needs of your learners, it means that they can see exactly how the content will benefit them. This encourages your students to take a more active approach to their learning.
- It ensures that learning outcomes are met. The personalised approach to the learning design means that the learning outcomes are tailored to the students, encouraging them to participate more with the learning materials.
If you require any further assistance with competency-based learning, please contact eLearning@tees.ac.uk