In the annual Greggs Marketing Challenge, universities across the North East compete against each other with a live brief set by Greggs. The brief changes each year to reflect changes in Greggs’ internal and external economic environment. In 2022, the brief was centred around embracing diversity. We created a product range to represent the communities that Greggs serves, as well as a cross-channel marketing campaign.

My team and I decided to create a range of poke bowls, including chicken, tuna and tofu versions, based on research that showed growing sales in sushi and bowl-based food. We designed the product, branding, packaging and pricing strategy, and considered how it would fit with Greggs’ existing product line and distribution channels. Our campaign included print and digital assets (posters, billboards, app redesigns, social media posts and TikTok videos).

The opportunity to work on a live brief that was relevant to the real world of marketing was an exciting insight into the type of career I could look forward to after graduating. Working as part of a team developed my interpersonal, communication and leadership skills. We put the theory we had learnt into practice in a fun way, and I am proud that we transformed our research into a full product range and produced some great ideas.

By Eve Walker.