Well, that’s not strictly true, I took a couple of years out on the road as a gigging jazz musician.

One of my many favourite things about my job is helping people make decisions about their future. I speak to hundreds of potential students, providing advice and guidance on choosing a university and course.

I’m particularly focused on this work during Clearing. It gives me the greatest pleasure to assist applicants who are unsure of what course to study, or have not quite met their grades.

I get such a sense of pride seeing the response of applicants when I make them an offer – feelings of elation in most cases and relief in others. It takes me back to 1996 when I embarked on my journey as an undergraduate student here at Teesside University. I had three wonderful years studying for my marketing degree, with inspiring tutors supporting me throughout my studies. I built on my knowledge and skills, embracing the wider opportunities beyond my course and making new friends from across the world.

A lot has changed since my undergraduate studies. Technology has developed, allowing for more innovative learning. There were no iPads or funky software packages like Adobe Creative Cloud when I was a student. I was part of the overhead projector generation, but it did not stop me from having a wonderful immersive learning experience. Why? Well, my tutors fuelled my curious appetite to develop my knowledge of marketing and succeed. Today’s students have the inspiring staff and the technology at their disposal to thrive in their studies – so it’s a win, win situation in my view.

The campus and facilities have also evolved since I was a student here at Teesside. New buildings with state-of-the-art facilities create a positive and inclusive environment, allowing learners to thrive and achieve their dreams.

Aside from the technological advancements, and growth in new buildings and facilities, there is one thing that has remained constant since my first encounter with Teesside in 1996 – and that’s the supportive community. I never felt like I was a number as a student. My tutors knew who I was and coached me to be the best I could be. That ethos remains the same today and it makes me proud to be part of such a forward-thinking university that puts students at the centre of everything.

So, if you’re thinking of studying a business course, get in touch. I would not be doing what I am doing now if it hadn’t been for my wonderful time studying marketing here.

I look forward to helping you embark on your learning journey.

By Noel Dennis