As a busy student with hardly any spare time due to studying BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography and a busy university/placement timetable, quick meals that are easy and don’t require a lot of washing up are ideal. Without quick meals it’s easy to turn to takeout or even worse – rely on a housemate to cook a house dinner! If you’re struggling for ideas, Charlotte Whitwell is a BSc (Hons) Diagnostic Radiography student who has thankfully put a list together to help you out!
1- salmon with golden vegetables rice -GF
- Put your oven on and preheat to 180 degrees c
- Get some tinfoil and cover the salmon in lemons and sweet chilli sauce or whatever you fancy, make a parcel out of your tinfoil so it can steam your salmon for 20 mins
- Get your frying pan and cook your packet rice in some oil and throw in some extra veggies, alternatively for a lower calorie option, boil some rice for 10 mins
- When the rice and veggies have got a golden tan, crack an egg and stir it up
- Now put your rice in an oversized bowl and put the salmon on top! Tasty! You can also make this dish with chicken, tofu or add more veggies!
|Salmon/chicken/tofu/Quorn||Uncle Bens Golden vegetable rice/normal rice||Green beans, broccoli, sweetcorn, any other veg of choice|
2- sausage and mash!
- Boil potatoes for 10 mins on high (optional – add some salt in the water)
- After 10 mins get your sausages in the frying pan cook for 20 min – bake in the oven for a healthier option
- When the potatoes are soft, pour the water out of the pan you boiled them in and mash them in the pan – add some butter to make it tasty!
- Get an oversized bowl and put the mash in with the three sausages on top
- Meanwhile, get your mug and some gravy granules and make your gravy quick and easy
- Add some peas to a bowl with a little bit of water in the bottom and zap them in the microwave.
|Sausages||Potato||For gravy – onion, gravy granules
Peas, broccoli, other green veg
3- Basic beans on toast but spice it up with beans with little sausages in the
|Baked beans (with added sausages)||Toast||–|
4- £1.99 pizza from dominos! Any two toppings for £1.99 add a drink for an extra £1! Collect from the corner of King Edward’s Square!
5- if you’re living with six other people it’s likely that one of you may have a slow cooker. Cook a curry in there and have a communal house tea – add to this with homemade naan bread, papadums and rice
|Meat/tofu/quorn||Rice or potato||Naan/papadums|