Christopher Hirlam Nursing Associate

We spoke to Christopher Hirlam, FdSc Nursing Associate, about what it means to work in healthcare, ‘I believe it’s very much a calling – if you know, you know’.

Why work in healthcare?

I’ve worked in the NHS since 1997. I fell into the health sector by chance after leaving a hospitality and catering course in college. I was unemployed for a few months, rang around looking for work and came across a residential home that was hiring. The manager asked me down for an informal chat and gave me the job there and then. I was there for around six months and was encouraged to get into the NHS. I did and I have been here ever since. I believe it’s very much a calling – if you know, you know.

Why did you choose FdSc Nursing Associate?

I wanted to better myself over the years but always felt that I wasn’t academically able to do a university course. I spoke with recently qualified nursing associates about their experience of university life and their course, and it gave me the confidence and reignited my desire to give it a go.

Experience on the course so far?

So far, the course has been relaxed. We first had an easing-in period, which was great to get us used to the university way of working, learning about essay writing and referencing. The course is taught over Teams, except for one module, which is a new way of learning for me.

What does the future hold?

I have just over a year left on the course and, all being well, I’ll achieve my qualification. I’ll then be able to put all my newfound skills and knowledge to good use. I want to be an effective Nursing Associate in my current work base.