We spoke to MSc Criminal Investigation student Heather Lewis about her experience of studying at Teesside Uni and travelling to campus each day.

Why Teesside?

I decided that university was the next step for me. I applied to study at Teesside University through Clearing. I live an hour away, so I commute every day with my course mate.

How have you found commuting?

I’ve appreciated being able to have time to get away to relax after a long day of classes and being able to bond with other students who travel, allowing us to car share.

Being able to travel in every day allows me to see different parts of Teesside which people don’t usually appreciate. And being a part of the University community makes me feel at ease when I’m in Middlesbrough.

Of course it’s been difficult at times because of transport issues or cost.

I haven’t missed out on the social side of being at uni. My friends and I regularly take part in the weekly quiz – we’ve won quite a few times too. We also loved the fun fair and Halloween night. And I’ve been to Bongo’s Bingo which I have been quite lucky with.

Any advice for other commuter students?

Make sure you know alternative routes and travel methods in case of disruptions. And if you know someone else who lives nearby, try to car share as it helps with cost.