Tell us a bit about yourself

My name is Terry Stravens. I am 54 years old, currently studying BA (Hons) Business Management, due to graduate in 2026. I own two businesses: V2 Health and Fitness, and Stravens Intelligent Products.

As a personal trainer and GP exercise referral specialist, I set up V2 Health and Fitness to help people with their dietary and mental health needs. Working in a gym. teaching classes and coaching clients allowed me to develop communication, leadership and listening skills. I also learned how to empathise with people, helping them become a better version of themselves. This led to me creating nutritional and healthy medicinal juices that help with inflammation, energy levels, gut problems, skin issues, bloating, fatigue and lack of concentration.

I started Stravens Intelligent Products in 1996, which designs and manufactures loudspeaker solutions but with a uniqueness about each product. Thinking outside of the box is a skill and attribute to any manufacturing business, ensuring we are always a step ahead of the competition. Although it was a successful business, I made many mistakes and decided to study at Teesside University Business School because of the reputation it has for creating great business leaders.

Why did you choose to study this course at Teesside? 

I wanted to understand why my business seemed to go so far and then fail. The business management course gives me an overall understanding of business, rather than focusing on just one area. Teesside University has a reputation for delivering great business leaders and entrepreneurs, and I wanted to learn and educate myself so that I can help other people tackle the problems I went through.

Why did you study a foundation year?

I wanted to learn from the very beginning, rather than assuming I understood business fully. I believed this would be very beneficial for my progression in business. 

How has this set you up for the rest of your course? 

The foundation year has been critical for my progression into the next year of study. I have learnt so much, and if I’d had this knowledge when I first started my business, I believe I’d have excelled exponentially and not made certain mistakes.

What advice would you give to others thinking of studying a foundation year? 

If you’re thinking of studying a foundation year, I would say this is the best route to go. I thought I had the knowledge to be good at business because I was making money, but I couldn’t maintain and grow my business. Doing a foundation year ensures you are prepared to continue the rest of the course.

By Terry.