Here at Teesside, we have a wide range of clubs and activities for you to get involved in, whether it’s related to your course or something completely different! Here Shane Robertson, a BSc (Hons) Computer Science student, tells us why he chose to study his course and about his experience in the Climbing Club.

I chose computer science because I enjoy working with computers, either software or hardware, and I got into PC gaming by building my own computer. I like creating simple yet effective pieces of software to perform little tasks with different applications.

I have really enjoyed the second-year modules due to their creative freedom, such as AI and Mobile App Development and I approached a problem and came up with a solution. I created a sudoku-solving algorithm to complete many iterations of sudoku, documenting the total steps used. I’ve also used Android Studio to develop a social media app promoting healthy eating, and engaging users with the content they generate.

I’m part of the Teesside Sport Climbing Club and a temporary member of staff doing climbing wall inductions. Since joining the club I’ve met many unique and interesting people. The club takes part in lots of events, such as British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) events where we compete against other universities and their top climbers. We also participate in a university varsity where we competed against Sunderland University, and I went head-to-head against their best climber in a bouldering-style competition. The club does a yearly trip to different parts of the country to climb outdoors. Last year we went to the Lake District and this year we went to Ogwen Valley in North Wales where we climbed inside an abandoned slate mine.

I plan to carry on climbing, even after university. I have never been more passionate about a sport in my life, thanks to Teesside. I would like to develop more knowledge around climbing by taking part in nationally recognised qualifications to further my skills and possibly make a career out of a hobby I thoroughly enjoy. I cannot thank the staff enough who have helped me get this far with my climbing.

My experience at Teesside so far has been perfect, I think anyone considering applying should just say yes and join the fun. Especially join the Climbing Club – it’s full of the most caring and funny people you’ll meet.

By Shane.