Like many students, I was never sure what I wanted to do once I left sixth form, and I never thought university was the right option for me.

The Covid pandemic hit in March 2020, cutting my time at sixth form short. August soon came around – and so did results day. I got better grades than I expected, and my business studies teacher and head of sixth form approached me to ask what my plan was.

The time between March and results day allowed me to think about what I wanted to do. I considered having a year out, and possibly applying to university the following year to study business management. I did business studies at A-level and wanted to gain further knowledge in the subject. This was a big change, as I was confident that university was not the right path for me.

Following many conversations after results day, I decided that if I were to go to university, now was the time to go. A few days after, I called Teesside University through Clearing to see if I was eligible to study BA (Hons) Business Management and soon received an email offering me a place. I couldn’t believe I was actually going to university, after years of thinking I wouldn’t.

I now feel like a totally different person to three years ago. I have grown in confidence, believe in my abilities more, have gained transferable knowledge in the subject and feel ready to enter the workplace. Throughout my time here I have made new friends, and had excellent personal tutors and lecturers who are always on hand to support me.

Though my time at university is coming to an end, I would encourage anyone in the same situation to apply through Clearing. It is an easy process, you make friends along the way and are supported by academics throughout.

As graduation approaches, I am so pleased that I took the plunge three years ago and applied. I thank all the staff for their support and look forward to putting my knowledge into practice as I enter the world of work.

It’s been a blast.

Joe Bennington