Middlesbrough FC

We sent Sport Journalism student, Josef, to last night’s Middlesbrough FC game against Leeds United FC. Check out his write-up below.

Middlesbrough’s play-off hopes were ended following their defeat to promotion-hunting Leeds United.

There was a frenzy of goals in the opening 30 minutes of the game with Boro hitting the front first after seven minutes, when Isaiah Jones latched onto the ball following Latte Lath’s clash with Leeds United’s goalkeeper Illan Meslier and Joe Rodon in the Leeds box.

The loose ball rolled under Meslier and into the path of Jones who tapped it into an open goal.

Jones’ goal was soon cancelled out after two goals in five minutes for the away team.

The visitors first came on the 13th minute, from a penalty after Anfernee Dijksteel clipped the heels of Georginio Rutter inside the Boro box. Crysencio Summerville smashed the ball past a diving Seny Dieng.

Five minutes later it was ex-Middlesbrough star Patrick Bamford who bundled the ball after a sweeping ball into the Boro box. The cross went unchallenged with Bamford finding himself on the end of it to send Leeds United in front.

A ten-minute spell of pressure for Middlesbrough ended with a fabulous strike from Emmanuel Latte Lath. Finn Azaz played the ball to Latte Lath who took his time and released a thundering shot from just outside the box, which flew past Meslier and put Boro level.

Leeds United restored their advantage in the 39th minute after Summerville played a through-ball through the Boro back line and into the path of Wilfried Gnonto who side-footed the ball past the Boro keeper.

The second half started with Boro dominating possession and controlling the play until a bit of quick play from Leeds saw Summerville dart into the Boro box, cut inside and curl a shot into the top corner of Dieng’s net giving Leeds a two-goal advantage on the 61st minute.

A late slither of hope came in the 87th minute when substitute Alex Gilbert expertly chipped the ball over the Leeds United defence and onto the head of Latte Lath, rising high and finishing with a looping header over the Leeds goalkeeper and into the net, to make it 4-3.

The goal created a remarkable finish to the game with Boro pushing hard to salvage something from the game.

Boro finished the game strong, creating chance after chance with Johnny Howson coming the closest with a long-range effort, but it wasn’t to be.

As the promotion hopefuls saw out the victory, taking the three points back to Elland Road and leapfrogging Ipswich Town into second place, only one point behind leaders Leicester City.

Boro fought hard but it wasn’t to be on the night, this game ending the nine-game unbeaten run and officially ending Boro’s play-off hopes.

Middlesbrough now head to Cardiff on the 27th April, before returning to the Riverside Stadium for the final game of the season on the 4th May against Watford FC.

By Josef Murray.