My name is Holly Shahverdi and I’m a final year trainee Psychologist at Teesside University. Prior to this, I studied an MSc in Health Psychology and a BSc in Psychology (Hons) – both also at Teesside.

I am particularly interested in writing about student wellbeing and love to share my tips and tricks here at The Vibe.

Today, I’ll be sharing with you some of the best places to get out in nature in Teesside. These places were suggested by students for students living in the area!

I am particularly interested in writing about student wellbeing and love to share my tips and tricks here at The Vibe. Today, I’ll be sharing with you some of the best places to get out in nature in Teesside. These places were suggested by students for students living in the area!

• Stewart’s Park
Stewart’s Park

This beautiful park is 120 acres of pure bliss. Located in Marton, Middlesbrough, it is home to the Captain Cook Birthplace Museum as well as two lakes and woodland. This could be one of the most tranquil parks in the area and is just 3 miles from Teesside University.

• Roseberry Topping
Roseberry Topping

Whilst this may not be the biggest hill you’ll ever see, it’s certainly one of the most distinctive! Many enjoy challenging themselves to get to the top where they can enjoy picturesque views of the local area. However, if you don’t fancy the hike, there’s always the Bluebell Woods and Heather Moorlands to explore on the ground.

• Saltburn Beach
Saltburn

Saltburn beach is a gently sloping sandy resort beach backed by cliffs. Its iconic feature is its Victorian pier. Access to the beach from the higher parts of the town can be gained via a striking hydraulic cliff lift. It is also home to a surf school, Saltburn Woods and some great fish and chip shops. Also, keep your eyes peeled for local markets that take place throughout the year.

• Guisborough Forest
Guisborough Priory,

With walking trails, 2 play areas and lots of greenery there’s something for everyone at Guisborough Forest. It’s a great place to relax and unwind that is suitable for the whole family.

• Preston Park
Preston Park Museum

Preston Park is another great family spot. You’ll find a Victorian museum and themed street as well as butterfly world, riverbanks and skate parks. It is a great place to visit and unwind from the stresses of life and take some time for yourself. In the summer, you can also take a boat trip to Yarm.

If you want to know more about why nature is so great for student wellbeing, check out my other post here: A breath of fresh air: The importance of spending time in nature for student wellbeing.

Thanks for reading and happy exploring!

Holly Shahverdi