Hi, I’m Soha. I studied MSc Aviation Management at Teesside University and spent a few weeks this summer as an intern at Teesside International Airport – an exceptionally remarkable experience. I got the opportunity to immerse myself in all elements of airport operations, earning valuable hands-on experience and acquiring critical skills that I will use throughout my career.

One of the most gratifying aspects of the internship was learning how to handle passengers. I worked at the check-in desk, where I gained firsthand knowledge of assisting passengers and making sure they were all set for their flights, as well as helping them board the aircraft. Each successful aircraft departure felt like a personal accomplishment. The supportive staff added to the enjoyment of the journey. They were extremely patient and always willing to answer my questions while managing their jobs, which helped me learn so much.

One of the most eye-opening aspects of my internship was shadowing air traffic controllers. Seeing them regulate the flow of aviation traffic was both intriguing and overwhelming. The enormity of their responsibilities became evident to me, and I gained a newfound appreciation for their work. Teesside International’s air traffic control tower may be old, but I prefer to call it retro – it’s completely operational, and watching the team there was a pleasure.

I also shadowed the air safety officers. Their function is important to guaranteeing the airport’s safety and security, and seeing their work helped me better grasp the complexities of airport operations.

There was never a dull moment. The fast-paced environment had me so engrossed that I frequently lost sense of time and lingered past my shift! The experience has helped me grow both personally and professionally, and it has prepared me for my new position as a passenger services coordinator at the airport. I’m thrilled to make this next step in my career!

I will always be grateful to Teesside University and Teesside International Airport for collaborating and offering us this great opportunity. I could not have wished for a better location to begin. The airport holds a special place in my heart, and I hope to contribute to its prosperity in the future.

By Soha Javed.