Paul Maber-Gill

I’m Paul, an MA Creative Writing student, who studied online through distance learning.

Teesside University

My career has always included a lot of training and learning but not academically. I’ve wanted to do a master’s degree as a stepping stone to a PhD and I spent a lot of time checking out the options. Teesside was way ahead of the competition for me because the distance learning option was exactly what I needed. It was 100% online, which matched my most recent career-related learning. The course meant that I could continue with my caring commitments because it was part-time. The flexibility was a huge plus for me. With no set times or days, I could complete my studies at times that suited me. Teesside has nailed the study format for those like me who know that you get out what you put in.

I’d definitely recommend Teesside University. I’ve been out of formal education for a long time, but this course was an absolute match for my method of learning. I’ve grown so used to professional development through online options that this was an immediate fit for me.

MA Creative Writing

It was a no-brainer. Writing has been a big part of my life and career. But I’ve always had to write on subjects related to my work and have not been able to explore the things I want to write about. Creative Writing gave me the freedom to explore my writing ideas and the guidance to look deeper at what it means to be an effective writer has helped me to reflect on what I write and why.

I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone with aspirations and ideas for writing, especially anyone used to the modern expectations of online learning for professional development. In the years preceding the start of my course I worked for the NHS and there was annual online learning required to confirm professional learning, so this course was perfect following those experiences.

My course

The variety and breadth have been particularly helpful for me, not just in building a knowledge and skills base but also in finding overall enjoyment through the experience. All the modules have had elements I’ve enjoyed but the aspect I found most useful was the workshops with the opportunity to share work with fellow students to secure feedback, thoughts, and ideas from them and to give the same to them.

Services offered

The electronic library facility has been excellent. I’ve been able to find all course-related materials and search for other interesting documents.

I had a little blip in the middle of module four and had concerns that I might need a brief extension to the deadline for my assignment submission. In the end, I was able to hit the deadline but the support and advice I had was great. I really like that all staff supporting this course are invested in the work of the students and are keen to give all support necessary for the best possible outcomes.

Skill and experience

I think the biggest skill I have gained is to be critically focused on my own work. I was happy with my expectations as a writer and this course has helped me to step back and take a fresh look at my work, even work I’m certain I’ve finished, and to look again with the eye of an editor. I tend to be a little on the wordy side so my new editing skills help me to see where I might make something sharper, punchier, more to the point in a way which adds to the enjoyment of something I have written. I’ve also built up an amazing base of links to further learning and reflection on practice which will keep me busy whilst I finish a couple of works in progress.

The future

I may look to complete a PhD and hope I find a similar option to this Master’s degree. Alternatively, I might just concentrate initially on completing my work in progress before considering what to do next.

I hope to visit Teesside to collect my degree certificate.

My advice

Just do it! Find out what excites you and just do it. For the online courses, be prepared to give as much as you expect to get. This is a course that demands self-motivation, so if this is something that you really want, then just go for it.

By Paul Maber-Gill.