In October 2023, I saw an exhibition of the late British designer Vivienne Westwood’s works at the Bowes Museum in Barnard Castle. It was during this trip that Lynne Hugill, Fashion course leader at Teesside University, told me about the partnership/study exchange programme between Teesside University and Ferrari Fashion School in Milan, Italy planting the seed that eventually led to my current internship at Ferrari Fashion School.

When I began searching for internship opportunities in May 2024, aiming to advance my career as a fashion designer, Lynne suggested that I connect with one of my academics and the international mobility team. They encouraged me to develop a proposal for a project I would want to undertake at Ferrari Fashion School for their approval; needless to say, I was over the moon when my proposal was approved and now I’m in Milan—a fashion capital city of the world!

The Department of International Mobility and the Marketing Department played an instrumental role in my journey to Milan. They conducted risk assessments, secured Turing funding, and facilitated the provision of medical and travel insurance. The marketing team has continued to support as I document my journey through content creation.

Upon my arrival in Milan, the faculty at Ferrari Fashion School warmly welcomed me. They ensured I settled in smoothly and encouraged me to immerse myself in the city’s rich culture, history, and fashion milieu beginning with attending events during the then ongoing Milan Fashion Week. I attended exhibitions by designers such as Chez Nous, Hikari No Yami, Maragno, and Susan Wagner, as well as saw collections from Korean designers under the theme “Resonance: Voices of Seoul.” I also attended several pop-up fashion shows and met industry professionals. A personal highlight was discovering ESCVD, a Peruvian brand with a strong focus on sustainability, an ethos I deeply admire. Exploring Milan’s iconic fashion district, the Quadrilatero della Moda, home to luxury brands such as Dior, Gucci, and Balenciaga, was another memorable experience. Also, exploring Via Montenapoleone, Via della Spiga, and Via Sant’Andrea which are famous and iconic fashion districts in Milan was beyond inspiring.

I also explored Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, where high-street brands like Zara, H&M, and Nike offer a contrast to the city’s luxury fashion scene. The nearby Duomo, teeming with tourists, perfectly encapsulates Milan’s captivating blend of history, fashion, and modernity.

A key aspect of my internship has been the personal and professional growth I am experiencing. With guidance from the faculty at Ferrari, I am researching and refining my brand identity. I am also attending classes at Ferrari Fashion School and participating in one-on-one mentoring sessions with industry professionals, gaining invaluable experience that is enhancing both my design skills and my understanding of the fashion industry.

Beyond fashion, Milan’s energetic and vibrant atmosphere has been the perfect backdrop for this transformative experience. Navigating the city has been an adventure, with Google Maps and Google Translate as my companions as I adapt to the local language and lifestyle. The city’s narrow, bustling streets, often lined with fashion stores, add to its charm and allure.

I am excited to see where this journey leads and look forward to sharing more updates from my time here. If you would like to follow along with my adventure, you can find me on Instagram @fashion_spayce and TikTok @fashionspayce.

Stay tuned for more as I continue to learn, grow, and build my future in fashion!

Guest blog by Tobe.