Making invisible disabilities visible

Yellow sunflower with blue sky behind it

Many people with disabilities receive a diagnosis as children or teenagers, but what’s it like to be diagnosed later in life? And how do you come to terms with that?

According to research by Scope, up to 80% of those registered as disabled have a hidden disability. That’s up to 10m people in the UK – and increasingly, we’re seeing more people diagnosed as adults.

Here, Donna Rodgers, Learning and Development Manager at Teesside University, shares her experiences of living with a hidden disability.

Guest blog: Donna Rodgers, Learning and Development Manager at Teesside University.

As a child, like many in the early 80s, I didn’t understand dyslexia.

There was limited awareness, and the assumption that those with dyslexia couldn’t read or write.

I did ok at school, and I was good at art, sports, science. I understood several subjects and was able to apply learning but struggled to recall information.

Whilst I did not perform as well as expected in my GCSEs, I didn’t think I had dyslexia, as I could read and write.

I was first diagnosed with dyslexia in my mid-to-late twenties.

I started a new position involving information processing, writing, reporting, and presenting.

Whilst I could do the job well, my struggles around writing, processing huge amounts of information, and remembering facts a few weeks after learning them really knocked my confidence.

True to being ‘consciously incompetent’, my insecurities crept in.

I am grateful to a colleague and line manager at the time who encouraged and supported me to get assessed.

Subsequently, the diagnostic showed what others had seen but I had failed to understand.

I felt uncomfortable with the diagnosis at the time. I allowed it to knock my confidence and, apart from with my immediate family and colleagues, I was fearful about being open and honest about it, especially when applying for jobs.

In retrospect, the diagnosis made perfect sense, provided clarity and reasoning about my challenges, and allowed me to understand my uniqueness and strengths.

Now, with a rewarding and successful career, I can reflect on my journey from not fully understanding my challenges to where I am today.

I know who I am and how dyslexia can both impact and strengthen my situations.

On a good day, I perform well. However, under extreme stress or when feeling overwhelmed, I can struggle to articulate myself, structure my thoughts, remember details I rely on, or recall things I need to say in the moment.

Being diagnosed with dyslexia gave me a clear insight into why I am good at most things physical and practical, including sports.

I may not be great at constructing written word, but I can do it, it just takes longer.

I believe my dyslexia allows me to bring a different mindset to work because I have experienced prejudice and adversity and, through my own growth, learned to be flexible and resilient.

I have learned that coping strategies and support are crucial, and it’s important to not hide, be open and honest about who you are and what you bring to the table.

It’s true that living with dyslexia can be a challenge, but it also brings so many positive skills that I have learned are crucial to today’s business success.

I may require support, flexibility, open-mindedness, encouragement and, at times, some reasonable adjustments.

Then again, so do many people in the workplace who don’t have a neurodivergent diagnosis.

Sunflower against a blue background.

Support for students

If you believe you may have a disability that hasn’t been diagnosed, the first step is to seek advice from your GP. Your GP can assess your symptoms and may refer you for an assessment. 

Students at Teesside University can access support and advice throughout their university journey. You can get tailored support, help with applying for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) and reasonable adjustments for your studies. You can also get information on how to be assessed for a specific learning disability. Find out more online or by emailing studentlife@tees.ac.uk