Ryan Davies, Senior Lecturer – Primary & Urgent Care, talks us through his career journey and how he’s progressed from a student to a senior member of staff at Teesside University.

I started my career as an apprentice healthcare assistant in the NHS before I secured employment with the North East Ambulance Service.

Following this, I applied for the student paramedic programme and successfully gained a place.

After working as a paramedic for three years, I progressed on to become an advanced care practitioner, where I then completed the MSc Advanced Clinical Practice Degree Apprenticeship at Teesside University. Throughout the apprenticeship, I worked full-time in general practice while completing my studies. I faced some challenges, including health, but the university was very supportive and encouraged me to continue my studies. I completed the apprenticeship and achieved a distinction. Teesside is an excellent place to study and prepares people to transition from student to practitioner.

Following this, I returned to Teesside University as a Senior Lecturer due to the excellent student support the university offers, its reputation and my passion for teaching.

Since qualifying I have always been interested in primary care and advanced practice. Working within general practice allows you to build therapeutic relationships with patients and perform advanced assessments. I enjoy providing care for the same patients over months to even years – I find it rewarding and fulfilling. I have always enjoyed mentoring and teaching clinical staff so this felt like a natural step to take, into a higher education role.

As a Senior Lecturer, I have the freedom to manage my own workload, while developing the curriculum. I am currently in the process of re-writing the final Paramedic Care module for year three BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practice students. In September, the first cohort will be studying this module and I am excited to deliver it alongside the team.

By Ryan Davies.