The Echo Chamber

“Make Mental Health & Well-Being for All a Global Priority”

Monday was world mental health day. I have always tried to be transparent about my own mental health struggles and how these impact my day to day personal and professional life. I’m not a social scientist, so I can’t speak from a place of academic expertise on this subject, but I can talk about lived experience of being an academic with mental health struggles and neurodiverse traits.

I think, interact with people, behave, and generally do lots of things in way that might seem different to others. It’s not that my ways of doing things are wrong… but when you are different, it becomes hard to fit in and that’s exhausting. Most things we do in life are organised around the average person’s brain, and there isn’t much room for compromise (understandably for a lot of things).

As I get older, I am less inclined to worry about fitting in and the impact on my career. Academia is a hub for creativity and generation of ideas and knowledge. If it doesn’t support diversity of thought, it will remain an echo chamber for the average brain, and hence the rest of the world with it. So, I guess the point of this post is to say … solidarity to those who feel they don’t fit; we need you more than ever 😊.

And if you get chance, read this blog post about autism and inclusivity in sport by Josh MacLaren. It’s amazing and important work 🙂 Josh MacLaren – Sports industry, accessibility and digital media blog (tees.ac.uk)

And of course, SOME KNITTING. I’m fatigued from a few big projects and have lots of WIPs at the moment. I am working on things, honest…. just not finishing anything. Here’s a few pics of my current projects:

Photo of four science knitting pieces with no obvious identity for each piece
My latest science crochet / knits (top secret until they are finished)

I have FOUR big science projects underway at the moment. All of these are TOP SECRET until finished and are super exciting. And the picture above does not give away anything 😁.

I also have loads of winter knits on the go, here’s a few latest piccies:

Photo of knitted cream hat with two bobbles
Bobble Hat for Hubby (He needs to pick a bobble, I think the cream one?)
Andrea Mowry “Wool and Honey”
Photo of knitting showing two coloured rows of cream and brown bobbles
Paintbox Yarns Bubble Cardigan in cream and fudge Super Chunky acrylic!
Photo showing a semicircle shaped piece of knitting in cream and red
Just started this two-colour brioche shawl by Andrea Mowry “Cinnabar Shawl” and I am completely in love with the pattern.
Photo of autumn wreath with knitted leaves attached.
A fun one – just finished this crochet autumn wreath decoration. Pattern available for free on the Hobbycraft website.

More updates soon,

Helen x