Stage 5: In-engine

This week was dedicate to finishing my learning of the Unreal Engine in order to create the UI. I watched various tutorials on how to make menus and UIs within unreal, then, following my flow chart and planning, began work on my artefact.

The biggest challenge with creating the UI was how new I am to the engine, however with all the tutorials and self-teaching, I was able to create a very basic UI, performing simple tasks with very basic visuals, which may or may not be improved later.

Stage 4: Creating a Flow Chart

After researching both Unity and Unreal Engine 4, I concluded that UE4 would be best to create a UI. I have done a small bit of self-teaching to learn the basics of how the engine works, and have a collection of online tutorials that I can refer back to if needed.

Alongside this, I have also been preparing a flow chart, to provide a step-by-step guide on how the UI will work and how actions are performed. This will probably be made on PowerPoint, both because I know the platform very well and the flow chart does not need to be technically impressive.

Once the flow chart is finished, I’ll post it here and begin work on an interactive UI on UE4.

Stage 3: Learning to use an engine

Now that I have a semi-competent GIF of my artefact developed within PowerPoint, I can use it as framework to actually create the UI proper within a game engine such as Unity or UE4. To determine which one I will use, I have downloaded both and will be working my way through both, seeing which is more feasible to develop a UI in, as well as which one i can actually practically use without wanting to tear me eyes out.

So far, I have very little experience in Unity, and close to none in Unreal Engine, therefore I will most likely use Unity to program my prototype artefact, and then continue using it to create the final version, unless UE4 produces better results or I feel more confident in my abilities using it.

Stage 2: Digitizing a prototype

This week I worked on digitizing the first draft of my UI. To do this, I used basic shapes in PowerPoint, which was chosen because I am very familiar and comfortable with using it. I created all aspects of my UI and added numbered descriptions. It was then exported as a GIF, giving a basic idea of how the UI works and is interacted with. This will be the first point of reference for me when it comes to creating the artefact proper in a game engine such as Unity or UE4

Stage 1: Research

This stage was mostly dedicated to conducting research and thinking up ideas that could be adapted into my artefact. For the research, I mainly used YouTube videos from Creative Assembly, specifically their videos on Total War: Troy. I also watched other content creators play the game, as this gave an unbiased perspective on what the game was like. Ideas for what could be made where then roughly laid out with pen and paper. 

Creating a new game mode was the first idea, but this was quickly scrapped as a lot of the ideas within the gamemode had already been done t some extent in the base game. During the research I saw how cluttered and nasty the UI was, which led me to choose this as my artefact.

Hello world!

Welcome to blogs.tees.

You can change the colour scheme and make changes to how your new blog looks by clicking “Customize” at the top of the page or by going to Appearance > Customize in your blog Dashboard.

The User Guide contains other information you might find useful using blogs.tees for the first time.

If you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch with us by email at blogs@tees.ac.uk.