Categories
Games Design

Welcome to my Industry Briefs Blog

During the time of my course this blog will be tracking the progress of researching, planning and designing a artefact for total war troy.

The Artefacts I can design are either

• A prototype Level
  • A Game mechanic
  • A in Game System
  • A prototype UI design
  • A prototype Narrative design

I have chosen to do a Prototype Map Level

for Week 1 to Week 3 I researched Total War Troy’s Map design and historical and geographical area of Troy.

At first I research multiple different map types that total war troy has and then researched the opinion of the players who engaged in these maps, most maps outside of the general city and siege maps seemed to be very open taking advantage of the diverse landscape of the geographical area, which has many hills, rocky outcroppings and rivers which make natural choke points which some players find makes troop type diversity and improvement very important and reading as the maps help ring out the strengths and weaknesses of your

Maps and environments of Troy from totalwar

As shown in just these two forum post players talk about how they mainly enjoyed the well mad landscapes, enjoying the fact that most maps are rich in vegetation, natural rock outcrops generating chokepoints and  general avoidance of flat lands.

I think Troy has my favorite battle map designs in the series from totalwar

the collected images arranged in these mood boards show what I’m referencing as many maps already have slopes, forests, rivers and lakes along with natural rocky choke points which generates some stunning visuals.