Week 3

Hey there, 

During the last weeks I’ve been doing some research on combat systems and what makes them good. By the looks of it we were going for a hack and slash-y feeling of the game, so my first stop was looking at the castlevenia experiment of a hack and slash title – Lords of Shadow. 

The first thing that stood out to me was the quick time events that take the player out of the action to perform a fancy move, most often a finisher. Felt out of place and breaking the immersion. The new God of War had a similar mechanic, and I must admit seeing Kratos smash someone’s skull open did feel epic the first time around but by the end of the game it gets old and with the limited number of enemies did not look good. 

A good quick time event system that I found was in Bayonetta. Quick time events are still used as finishers but more of a Cooldown period for this over-the-top huge gory set piece and with the constant growing number of enemies it is always a joy to see her preform a… Punishment… 

For the time being though I wanted us to stray away from Quick time events. Other than showing off animations and giving a breather, the system just stops you dead in your tracks and for a vertical slice it just doesn’t seem necessary. 

Hit counter, Combo pounts, Stilish points, call it as you wish, in the end of the day the point of the system needs to serve 2 puprposes:

• Push you to try new things
  • Make you feel like the all mighty charecter that you play

What I want us to end up with is a powerful vampire slayer that can dip into demonic powers if he takes an inhumane route and I want every sistem to reflect this as well.

More infomration next entry.

Thanks for reading,

Tin