Teesside cyclist has big plans for 2017 after signing new deal

A Teesside student cyclist has his sights on reaching the top  after signing for a new team, Bike Channel-Canyon.

Picture by Alex Whitehead/SWpix.com – British Cycling Elite Circuit Series – Chepstow Grand Prix – Chepstow, Monmouthshire, Wales –
1. Harry Tanfield (Pedal Heaven RT) (left)

Harry Tanfield, who studies Civil Engineering at Teesside University,  is delighted to have been selected to join the new team, after previous success.

Harry, 22 from Great Ayton spent 2016 with Pedal Heaven Race Team, which saw the student pick up some fantastic results on the road.

This included a first place ranking in the UK elite British Cycling competition.

Harry also finished second in the  elite circuit race series.

He also had a ninth place finish in the Tour de Yorkshire stage 2 and finished third in the Rutland UCI 1.2.

Harry was delighted with the call up for the new 15 – man team and can’t wait to get back on the road, when the season comes around.

He said: “I’m really excited for the 2017 season with Bike Channel Canyon after coming from Pedal Heaven race team.”

“It’s a great group of guys and I think we will work very well as a unit.”

The UK number 1, elite British cycling ranked rider, has his eyes on competing in the Tour de Yorkshire again in 2017 and also has his sights set on the Tour of Britain.

Harry said: “UCI races such as Tour de Yorkshire and Tour of Britain are some of the biggest races in the UK, so they are my two main aims for the coming season, as we missed out on selection last season as a team.

“So if I was to get selected it would make 2017 a really special year for me.”

Harry will also join up with eight riders formerly of Pedal Heaven Race team in Jake Pullar, Mitchell Webber, Alex Richardson, Rory Townsend, Max Stedman, Jake Womersley, Joe Fry and Dexter Gardias.

Picture by Allan McKenzie/SWpix.com – 01/07/16 – Cycling – British Cycling Elite Circuit Series – Shugborough Hall, Stafford, England – Pedal Heaven’s

2016 also saw Harry take first place honours in the British Universities & College Sport (BUCS) road race championship.

Harry  was over the moon to have sealed the victory.

He said: “I was lucky enough to win the BUCS road race championship recently which was a really tough ride.”

“The fact it was on local roads in York, made it good fun too as it’s fairly local to where I’m from.

“It’s the first time I’ve rode the BUCS race despite having the opportunity to race in it the last three years, as the team have always had other national races clashing over that weekend.

“It was a fairly hilly race to ride and a tough course to win, especially with my build, but I just had really good legs on the day.

“I kept the pressure on throughout the race the just went to pieces with the strongest riders emerging at the end to battle it out on the final lap.

“To take the win solo from the break away was a very special feeling, I just sort of ripped it apart.

“Overall a really good day out.”

The civil engineering student also competed oversees in China.

He said; “I won quite a big stage race while over there in Asia, China was good fun and a great experience.”

Harry Tanfield, celebrating after coming 1st in China. in the national, elite circuit race series as well as winning additional open road races in the UK.

Harry is part of the Elite Athlete scheme, which enables students to receive a comprehensive support package, which is individually tailored to meet the needs of each person, depending on their sport at Teesside University.

Harry said: “The scheme has been really good for my racing and has given me lots of access to massages as well as watching a range of videos.”

“The scheme has been really good for my training and racing, giving me access to a structured strength and conditioning programme.

“In addition to seeing physic’s and masseurs whenever I need to.

“It’s been really beneficial to my winter programme

“I’m really lucky to have Stu and Matt with me in the gym to keep me right basically.”

Matthew Wright, Sports Development Officer of Elite Sport at Teesside University, said: “Harry is now coming into his fourth year on the Elite Athlete Scheme and has developed through the years.”

“One of the benefits for Harry is helping him balance his study and his cycling and his academic staff and school have been really supportive.

“In terms of helping Harry’s performance this changes through the year, over the autumn and early winter we have worked on developing his strength and power, which paradoxically is very beneficial for endurance athletes.

“As the year goes on Harry spends more time on the bike and it’s just trying to keep the balance with gym work and racing, to make sure everything is going ok.

“Harry’s a great athlete to work with and it is nice to see him perform in big races and it was also nice he was able to become British University Champion last year too.”

Anyone interested in taking up road cycling should check out their local team with Cleveland Wheelers and Stockton Wheelers Cycling Club being two clubs in the Tees Valley area.

For more information on Harry check out his Facebook page.