Thornaby mother fundraises after losing her boyfriend to a freak accident

REBUILDING HER LIFE: Emma lives with her son, Henry

REBUILDING HER LIFE: Emma lives with her son, Henry – sourced from Evening Gazette

A THORNABY mother-of-two has dedicated her life to helping others after losing her boyfriend suddenly just three days after Christmas.

Emma Dowey, 40, lost Brian Martin to a head trauma after he fell and hit his head just in 2013. The 37-year-old dad couldn’t be resuscitated by paramedics, leaving his wife and step son Henry heartbroken.

Emma said: “The hardest part was when the police wouldn’t let me see him. I kept thinking that he was with strangers, he should’ve been with me in his last moments.

“Brian always knew that if he went into cardiac arrest, he couldn’t be saved. Due to an enlarged heart, he was on the organ transplant list for the majority of his life.”

This year Brian would have celebrated his 40th birthday and Emma has made it her mission to help others. So far she has donated more than £1,500 to the acute cardiology ward at Stockton’s North Tees Hospital and is hoping to raise more in the future.

North Tees is a special place for me, it’s where Bri was treated and they’ve supported me through this heartbreak,” she added.

“I’ve already been contacted by Sainsbury’s who want to sponsor my next fundraiser, so it just gets bigger and better from here. I know Bri would be proud of all that I’ve achieved. Everything I do, it’s with him in mind.”

Emma shares her full story with Tside reporter EMILY CONYARD