Dance student gains placement with acclaimed videodance artists Katrina McPherson and Simon Fildes: Post from Perform@tees

goat shootFor my third year work related context placement I was eager to work with professional dance filmmakers to further develop my theoretical and philosophical approaches to dance film whilst gaining knowledge and the fundamental skills in the processes of making dance film.

I expressed my interest to Goat Media (Katrina McPherson and Simon Fildes) in Scotland. This was warmly received and we agreed that I could join them in the development of their new film project ‘Wild Land’

The Wild Dance Film project is collaboration between Goat Media and The Centre for Mountain Studies at the University of the Highlands and Islands in Scotland, based around models to map the attributes of wildness. The aim is to support research carried forward by Dr R McMorran in developing robust and repeatable methods of mapping wild land and on planning, policy and the management of these protected landscapes.

Project Description: A cross-art form project using video to work with landform mapping data to explore how conceptions of wildness differ according to the observer’s point of view and how this can be and is influenced by romantic representation of the wild lands in the past and present.

Being able to work with established professionals and well-renowned directors from Goat Media was an excellent opportunity for me to ‘get to grips’ with the professional aspects, technical issues and evolution of conceptualization when shooting dance film. Therefore this site-specific work placement was an integral learning process for me.

Katrina McPherson’s ‘Making Video Dance’ book was also one of the most constructive textual presentations and guided filmmaking processes that I have studied.

(Away From Here, 2012) (The Time it Takes, 2010) (There is a Place, 2010) and (Force of Nature, 2011) are some examples of their film work.

I have found Goat Media’s work and this placement highly inspiring and adding in furthering my development of new skills. I hope to utilize these skills and develop a sufficiently comprehensive knowledge base to synthesize my ideas and produce a dance film for my Final Year Creative Project, and hopefully enhance my career prospects through future opportunities within the dance film industry.

from perform@tees