Update 1: Weight Mechanic, Test Level Development

Gravity Mechanic:
Today I created my “Gravity” mechanic, it was much easier than expected and works really nicely already. I will be getting help from other students a lot when it comes to Blueprinting for the majority of the project as it is not the area that I specialise in, nor an area I am very experienced with. I am instead focusing my efforts primarily on overall design, level design, audio and the visuals and feel of the game, all of these are areas I enjoy and have a good amount of experience with.

I decided altering the weight of the player would be easier than altering the gravity affecting them, and would ultimately achieve the results that I wanted anyway. I also wanted to have the character shrink and grow depending on his weight to show visually that the characters state is altered. All of this was much easier than I imagined and with a bit of help from fellow students I got it working pretty quickly.

First I set up that 1, 2 and 3 would control the players scale, 1 being the smallest and 3 being the largest. Then I hooked them up to a node that sets the actors scale, this is really easy to go back and alter later if I need to. Finally I used a custom node that effected the downwards force of the character while holding the keys. This is a very simple way of effectively simulate the changing “weight” of the character.
The blueprint is shown below:

 

Test Level:
After I had my basic mechanics working I started making a small test level (Above). I will  keep adding to this with new ideas utilising my mechanics so that I can learn what is possible and develop ideas that I can add to a level when the time comes. So far I have a series of seesaws that are used in different ways such as reaching higher areas and launching blocks. The seesaw was made using a physics constraint and a cube locked on one axis.
this area is already proving useful for developing new ideas and testing.


Other:
I built everything from the UE4 third person preset to give me a solid backbone for all the developments I am going to make. I also slightly changed the character controller by increasing the control you have in the air, as I found the preset to be quite unwieldy.