After been given the green light for my proposal, I started to collect some more research, such as what a metal sword hitting against metal would look like. I found that trying to find videos of this wasn’t the easiest,since most of the videos to do with this were only the sound of a sword hitting against metal, no actual videos, so in the end I decided that I would look for videos that showed people fighting with metal weapons, then have to just look close for the interactions between the armour and the swords.
While looking for these videos, I can upon a website where character models for the game Total War: Troy were posted, being able to use that in the future to export into Unreal when I need the models to hit for the mechanic and to also give me inspiration for what materials would need to be thought about and made for the mechanic.
This is my week one blog for the development of my game mechanic for the Total War: Troy, where I will be showing the development process that I went through to come up with my idea for a game mechanic.
When I was tasked with making something for the game, Total War: Troy, I instantly knew that I wanted to do a game mechanic, since I’m hoping to get a career in game design in the future. When I was thinking about what kind of game mechanic to do, my lecturer had mentioned a mechanic where based on what a flaming arrow hits, there would be a different effect, such as the fire going out if it went into water. After hearing this, I got the idea to make a mechanic where based on where a metal sword hit on a enemy, a different effect would show, such as metal sparks when it hits metal armour, and more, which I have detailed in my proposal.
When making my proposal, I first went and researched the game, since I had never heard of the game before. While doing some research, I found multiple images that showed the types of armour and clothing that the units wear, helping me get a sense of what types of materials I would need to think about and how a metal sword hitting against them would react and what effect would occur.
After I had done and gathered some research, I started to write up my proposal, detailing what I wanted to do as a game mechanic, and the details of each different material I was thinking of. I added in multiple pictures, the ones that showed the types of armour and clothing that is worn, to help show what types of materials I would be working with.