22/03/2018

Today I finished the buffer area on the rear cab, with the only thing remaining to do here being the couplings, with the very last parts of the cab to be completed also being the lights, horn grate, doors and side windows too.

19/03/2018

Today I have completed the main shape of the rear cab. I had also modelled the rear skirt however I had it hidden at the time of taking the screenshot and so I forgot about it. The big bar on the front will contain the lights and the horns when completed, while the side will feature a door and a window on each side. Also remaining are the buffers and couplings that attach the locomotive to the carriages.

15/03/2018

Today I started on the rear cab. This cab is incredibly flat and only exists for emergencies. The trains that this locomotive hauls has a “DVT”, or Driving Van Trailer, on the south end of the train. This is essentially a carriage with a driving cab that remotely controls the locomotive at the north end of the train.

The specific type of carriage the Class 91 hauls are known as Mark 4s, as they are the 4th carriage design created by British Rail after it was formed in 1948.  This means the DVTs in the train are Mark 4 Driving Van Trailers, though, despite being carriages, they have no seating inside and is used as a guards quarters and storage space for bikes, and in the past it carried mail and other small sacks of goods for stations along the route.

However, sometimes the connection between the DVT controls and the Locomotive is interrupted.

When this happens, the Train Operating Company has 2 options. It can either:

Request a “Thunderbird locomotive” to haul the train from the rear.

Or, have the locomotive detach from the front, run round the coaches, and attach to the rear of the train.

This is counter productive, as it takes time to move the locomotive. Not only that, but the “blunt end” rear cab is limited to travelling at 110mph.

12/03/2018

Today I finished the pantograph and added the components under the body, hidden behind the side skirts. Next I have to add another cooling vent on the right side, directly behind where the front cab will be situated.

Completed pantograph apparatus.
Completed under-body components.

05/03/2018

Today I sought help with my unwrapping issue – the issues presented to me didn’t make a lot of sense so I decided to do what I feared I would – I had to delete all but 1 of ever component. This leaves me with 1 wheel, 1 set of hydraulics for that 1 wheel, 1 traction motor into 1 gearbox, etc. After this I was able to get everything unwrapped onto the same texture map. Then I had to duplicate everything into the correct place again.

While I was waiting to be seen, I started on the buffer bar – the buffers themselves need a bit more work but so far they are good. They connect to the body of the locomotive underneath the front skirt, which will be one of the next things I’d like to model. First, I’ve got to texture the bogie and import into Unreal Engine 4.

28/02/2018

After I finished unwrapping, I decided to add a few more details to the bogie. these are various hydraulics. A pair between the larger springs that connect to the body of the locomotive, and another 4 that connect the cross bar to the body that allow the bogie to rotate smoothly. After this I had a problem. When I attempted to combine all of the components onto 1 texture map, an error relating to the parts referencing other parts prevented me from doing so. Currently, the university is closed for the rest week due to the snow storm, “The Beast from the East”. This means I can’t get assistance until Monday. Luckily, the deadline for the progress review has been delayed until next Friday, the 9th.

27/02/2018

An almost completely unwrapped bogie

Today I almost finished the unwrap process on the bogie, with the only part not finished being the larger springs and one of the smaller internal components. The advantage of most components referencing each other is that the asset as a whole can be unwrapped faster.

Springs, partially unwrapped