Week 3: Materials

Wall Materials

I started my week by jumping into Substance Designer and creating some tile materials for the walls. My idea was to create a clean tile material, a cracked tile material and a plaster material for where the tiles had fallen off, and use these as a tree way vertex paint for the walls.

Clean, Cracked and Plaster materials

However, once I created the 3-way vertex material and started to paint with it I quickly realized that the plaster material was not blending as well as I expected. So I decided to just use a 2-way vertex paint for the clean and cracked tiles as they seemed to blend together nicely and come back to the plaster later and maybe use it for mesh decals.

Vertex painted Tiles

Re-doing the Escalators

As I mentioned last week I used a trim sheet to texture the escalators as this was quite a large asset and I wanted to maintain the quality of all the assets. But after having a talk with my tutor, he showed me a technique to get even better quality by using material functions and material blending to get even better surface detail.

Material Graph

One of my goals for this project was to try and learn how to create more complex materials within UE4, and this material was a lot larger than I am used to. but I did learn a lot creating it and when creating a material instance it gives me lots of control over certain aspects like roughness to different elements, colour, normal intensity and being able to tile individual textures like normal maps independently.

Material Instance
Old Vs New

Next Weeks Plan

My main plan for the following week is to start modelling the train, as this is the main hero asset I want to try and get this done early on.