Third year student Emma Graham writes about her recent work based experience

For my work placement I divided my time working between two placements working within an educational environment. I worked alongside the dance teacher at Egglescliffe Comprehensive School shadowing and assisting in GCSE Dance classes and rehearsals over 3 weeks. I also taught 1 hour street dance sessions within The Links Primary School for one day during their sports week to a class from each year.

I found it challenging to plan and deliver a GCSE Dance workshop as I had never experienced this before. However, I enjoyed teaching in a secondary school to students who had chosen the option to take dance as they were enjoyable and enthusiastic to teach and were motivated to learn more and improve.

It was interesting to see how GCSE dance was taught within a school.

The most memorable part of my placement was the placement within the primary school, where I was amazed to see the interest shown by the young boys. They were very keen to involve themselves with the dance activities and were constantly full of enthusiasm and ideas.

I found the whole experience of the placement very beneficial as it allowed me to prove to myself that I had the confidence and knowledge to deliver a lesson on my own with no assistance from more experienced staff and this in itself gave me a feeling of achievement. I would have no hesitation in taking a dance class in the future.