week 4

After creating the chandelier, it was time to move onto the battle axe. Because the battle axe was is going to be a background prop. I do not need to worry about creating a high poly version of the weapon and only need to focus on creating a low poly asset. The creation of the axe comprised of creating the axe head and the handle.

 

After some extensive research, I found a lot of the axe’s quite basic and leaning more towards a Viking aesthetic. Which was not what I wanted when creating this asset. I wanted it to cater more towards the medieval my team and I was going for. And after some more research, I found the axe which was more suited to what I wanted to create.

Medieval battle axe - CelticWebMerchant.com15th Century French Battle Axe Black Finish

Following on towards the modelling process, I was able to achieve the axe that was suited to the theme that I was going for. As the axes double head and unique design pattern allowed me to achieve the medieval style which I was going for.

 

Week 3

This week, I had begun to create the assets which I had chosen on trello. The asset which I began to work on was the chandelier. What I had done was I got a pipe increased the size of the hole in order to get the basic shape. I then proceded to create the holes in the chandelier, to do this, I cylinder and create a 2 x 2 shape in order to get the ideal shape. I then booleaned the cylinders into the chandlier creating the chandeliers base.

For the candle holders, they were made usings spheres, torus, and cylinders. To get the main shape of the candle, it was from cutting a sphere in half moving the vertex’s top, and extruding its bottom face in the shape as shown below. I really enjoyed creating this asset as I was able to get down the base for the model and replicated it almost identically to my reference.

Week 1 – 2

For the first two weeks of journey man, we were introduced into what we would be covering for this semester. What this would include would be, the teams, the theme of journey man – Coin op recharged plus also finding out who would be our supervisors  for our team and the remaining semester. The team, in which I had been put into would be team 10 as an artist.

We then had a meeting for our team introducing ourselves and discussing what sort of game we were going to create for our vertical slice. We were then shown 3 different games in which we were to chose one in order to (remaster) as these games had represented the theme of coin op. Our team ended up choosing castlevania. And as part of the recharged aspect of the theme, we decided to create a beat up em styled castlevania in reference to popluar beat em ups such as scott pilgrim the video game and final fight.

Final Fight Arcade 1989 - Retro Consoles & Video Games ...

We were tasked to research into the game we were taking inspiration from. During my research, I could see that castlevania was heavily styled into a gothic medieval theme. Meaning that the assets I created where going to be styled more to an old day time period rather than anything of the present.