WEEK ONE.

Fashion footprint is the amount of greenhouse gas and energy that goes into making garments.  Many people are oblivious about how much production goes on behind the scenes. The amount of clothes that people are buying a year has increased over time and this means more energy is being used and emitted into the universe.

Behind the scenes of production consists of water usage, energy usage transportation and the chemical dyes that are used to create the garment. This all contributes to the Fashion industry being the second biggest polluter in the fashion industry.

Investigate into country’s manufacture – market size, issues, policies.

Main issues and potential policies needed to improve environmental issues.

In this weeks task, i was introduced to ThreadUp. This allowed me to test my carbon footprint. This was done through a questionnaire which included our shopping disposal, washing patterns etc. This questionnaire helped me to realise just how much i am contributing to my fashion footprint. I felt this urged me to be mindful and consider my fashion footprint.Ê

Below is the results of my fashion footprint test on ThredUp.

Where do my clothes come from?

Analysing garments

Garment 1 

Brand: Zara 

Description: Anthracite hoodie with a napped interior. Adjustable hood and long sleeves. Front pouch pocket and ribbed trims.

Fibre content: Knitted Fabric. The garment is made from 63% cotton and 37% polyester. Made in Turkey.

Garment 2

Brand: The Ragged Priest

Description: Beetle Ladder Knit jumper with loose knit stripes.

Fibre content: Knitted fabric. The garment is made from 96% Nylon and 4% Acrylic. Made in China.

Garment 3

Brand: Maniére De Voir

Description:High waisted Cargo camouflage pants with a wide leg, 3D pockets and side slip pockets.

Fibre content: Woven fabric. The fabric is made from 100% cotton made in United Kingdom.

Garment 4

Brand: Named Collective

Description: Black thorn rhinestone zip hoodie.Oversized fit. Unisex with drop shoulders, Logo imprinted across the hood

Fibre content: Knitted Fabric. It is 100% fleece cotton. Made in United Kingdom. 

Reflection

This week was very informative. I learned how much we contribute to climate change through producing and buying clothing. I learned that my footprint matters and contributes to fashion waste. I learned that the fashion industry is the worlds second polluter and this was interesting as I did not know this. As well as this, I learned that the fibre content is important when making clothing as it can change the feeling of the garment and how it reacts when washed or how it wears.

References

https://www.kleiderly.com/our-blog/what-is-your-fashion-footprint

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKydLG6-mBAxU0Y0EAHU_kBccQFnoECCwQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fgoodonyou.eco%2Fmaterial-guide-nylon%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DWhat%2520is%2520nylon%253F%2Cso%2520useful%2520as%2520a%2520fabric.&usg=AOvVaw2hicOK4PMJuD9IzFct2XHH&opi=89978449