Week 5 – Gitting Merged & Spaghetti Code Cleanup

GitHub

GitHub is finally ready! However nothing is ever easy and so it came with a few difficulties,  much bug fixing, 4 different repositories and A lot of work from our Build master and it was finally working. Until I tried to use Unreal Engines built in source control…

After several hard crashes when trying to use Unreal Engines source control I decided to just handle my changes inside of the GitHub desktop which had worked fine since.

The final issue with Git that occurred this week was unfortunate but simple to fix, when the merge onto Git happened some of my Blueprinting inside of the player character had disappeared, along with variables inside the player however as we had been working on our own individual projects prior to the merge I was able to move the Blueprints over quickly.

 

Changes To Pickups

After all of that was over I managed to implement a decay sequence that once complete removes the pickup from the game, a small particle effect to indicate to the player that this item is something of interest and the added the ability for each pickup to hover up and down that the designers can toggle and change easily.

 

 

While I was working on the floating system I found that a lot of the code that I was using for the pickup system was a mess. I took a bit of time to clean up the code and to setup some functions inside the player to make it easier to increase the players Coins/Health. I took multiple passes on the code in order to try and make it as clean and easy to understand as possible.

Final Things

I also added some more changes to the Holy Water Projectile, when the projectile is thrown the liquid inside of it will adapt to angle of the bottle, I have also set this up to have a changeable viscosity so that the designers can decide how much the liquid should move, this could also be used inside of a blood bottle in order to make the blood move slower to more closely resemble the actual thickness.