Week 1-2 – Finding Our Game

Hi,

My name is Matthew Stott, and this is the beginning of my Journeyman Development Log for 2021. In which I will be talking about my development process for the Castlevania themed vertical slice.

The first week started with meeting my team to discuss the coin op theme and how we would decide to tackle it within the team. After taking a poll we found Castlevania to be the most liked within the group, however, to gauge interest we still decided to get together in a discord call to allow for peoples reasoning being heard for their decisions.

We took some time do some research of our own and came back later to talk about the common things that you would expect to find inside of

Castlevania and to talk about how we could implement gameplay.

For my own research I watched multiple playthroughs of games to get a general feel for the gameplay and scripting required for the game to easier break the game down. After this I found some previous examples of people using the Castlevania theme in their own projects to see how people are diversifying the Castlevania theme.

In week 2 I started quickly implementing some easy-to-use pickups that can be placed around the map. I wanted the user to be able to place them and then decide what the object looks like as well as being able to decide whether its breakable? Or if it is breakable will it spawn, and what will it spawn.

So I started work on a quick blueprint that would do that for me

Overall it turned out well for a quick test, I’ll be adding some more code to it over the next week to make it feel more like a world object rather than a box Spawner.