Now that Pre-production is firmly over, and I have completed all pre-production tasks that I set my self, I will be moving onto the main body of work, creating the trim sheet and detailing assets with that.
Reference and world building:
Since I’ve started from scratch but knew what I wanted to create and why I spent the first few days gathering references. As I have never created this kind of environment before, I also studied the star citizen art pipeline through multiple sources, along with find multiple start to finish Sci-fi based tutorials, purchased on Gumroad. I will be referring back and using these as aids to assist me during the project.
I began experimenting with the initial layout of the world surrounding the station, and the station its self, giving my self a better idea of what pieces I may need to create in order to achieve the result I wanted. These ideas were based on a small narrative I created to also aid my decision making.
Initial blackouts of the modular kit were created and implemented into UE4 to be tested for a consistent look, scale, and functionality. these were also pieced together beforehand in 3ds Max, to give me the ability to see what unique pieces I may need to create, and then make any that would be needed and allow them to work around the modular kit.
The modular kit also includes a roof, the initial block out for this made the station feel cramped, so during the detailing stage of the blackouts, I made an effort to remove this by creating height in the modular pieces, whereas this does help greatly, some pieces still need modification.
(Final roof design as of week 3. Fully modular.)
During Pre-production I have also made and mostly completed the landscape. These have been made in World Machine, as I am running the basic version, I am limited to 512×512 exports, however, due to distance and scale, this is not an issue.
This image shows the initial design of the impact crater, the location of the research site. The camera will never be able to see over, especially as the only view of the outside will be specifically placed windows, showing the outlying facilities.
Afterthought and gathering new reference, I decided to redesign the crater, giving it a more realistic feel, along with adding some temporary colour to outline details that may otherwise be difficult to see at a glance.
Version 2 of the modular kit:
Once I was happy with the layout and shape, I began to detail the modular pieces, most details are inspired and modeled by utilizing the reference gathered, alongside gather more, however, some other details have been created without the use, to allow me to achieve a consistent look.
I then moved on to create version three of the modular kit, adding more pieces to it and really concentrating on the narrative, making the scene make sense and trying to give a reason behind specific events. This also marked the final stages of blackouts, as by this point all inital assets vital to the scene have been created.
I built the world in Unreal Engine 4, piecing the level together and ensuring each piece acts as intended, along with setting the project up and organizing everything.