Emotional Intelligence

Today in Gill’s lecture, we covered Emotional Intelligence and what it means to be and not to be emotionally intelligent.
From the lecture, I gathered that Emotional Intelligence is all about the ability to understand and manage both your own emotions and that of people around you. Gill gave the example of bosses needing to understand different individual’s emotions in order to get through to them in the most effective way.

Gill also explained that there are four quadrants of emotional intelligence, Self Awareness, Self Management, Social Awareness and Relationship Management. Each quadrant is a factor contributing towards good emotional intelligence and within these quadrants are further qualities of good emotional intelligence.

From this information, I have been able to see how important emotional intelligence is and that it will be a very influential factor in the lives of many leaders and managers but also allows me to have a good understanding of the effects of good and bad emotional intelligence on employees. This will help me in the future as I will be able to apply the knowledge I have gained from this lecture to make me a better leader and manager.