Adding detail to the Ship

When I started to add details to the ship I had to gather reference.

Obviously I was given a design from my team’s Concept Artist that outlined what the more detailed ship were to look like, however that is not everything that I require when converting 2D art into the 3rd dimension.

I began looking at reference to how other people have created models that are supposed to be made of similar material – for example, I looked at the tools and techniques used by Furio Tedeschi during the creation of this robot, as I was also looking to create something hard surface and metallic. He utilised a brush named DamStandard which he used to created the dips in between the metal to define different plates. He also used ClipCurve to create subtools with perfectly straight edges, which is something useful for me as the plates I will be creating will, in my opinion, not seem realistic if the edges are not straight.

I then gathered some reference from other 3D models of ships and objects that use metallic panels that I found to see how they achieved a realistic-ish look.

I feel that if a leave small gaps in between the panels it may give the ship a more realistic look – however this look will only be achieved if the inside of the gaps show nothing and are not big enough to look jarring or as if the panels are not holding the ship together.