Robot rig fix

Needed some last minute robot animation and discovered that the paint weights on the robots hand were off.
When I tried moving a finger it would drag half the hand with it, so I re-painted the weights for each digit. Hopefully now it’ll work fine and I’ll be able to sort the animation out.

OIIO error solved but not really

Alright.
I’ve been working on the scene on my teammate’s account as the error didn’t affect the scene when they opened it, and then I asked them to do some scene setting while I was away for a few days. It went well and they handed the scene back to me.

I decided to try and implement some possible fixes that Paul had suggested in an email he sent when he got back, but when I opened the scene and tried using Arnold everything worked. The OIIO error has just disappeared? Obviously there’s an actual reason but I have no idea what it might be. Morty didn’t alter any file paths or re arrange any of the folders and I didn’t change anything either before setting the project and opening the scene. I’m grateful it’s gone but I wish I knew exactly what caused it in case I run into it again.

OIIO error cont.

Alright I’m about to lose my marbles but the good news is that when Morty loads up the same project on his account, it works fine, which is great news because it means that our entire scene hasn’t been decimated.
The bad news is I’m still no closer to figuring out how to fix the error that it seems is on my end only.
From what I’ve managed to find it seems most likely to be file location related so I’ll have to go through each of my folders to try and figure out which files are causing the problem.

Unspecified OIIO error

After some more searching I found some others who had experienced this error aswell. It’s an ‘unspecified OIIO error’ and is apparently a texture error. The thread suggested deleting all the textures and re exporting them from substance, and also unchecking the ‘auto-convert textures to .TX’ in the render settings, however neither of these approaches solved their problem. I was unable to attempt the re-exporting textures option so I tried the latter, but as expected it didn’t solve the issue.
Another thread was answered by an autodesk technician, who offered solutions such as ‘You’re rendering on OSX, so I don’t think that Windows path is going to work’ & ‘You’re running MtoA 1.3.1.1, not MtoA 1.4.2.2′ but neither of these seem to have solved anyones issue either.

I’ve found an official Autodesk page for the error though that states that the ‘error happens when Arnold cannot access textures for various reasons. Often happens when network rendering and the user account used does not have access to textures stored on network shares.’
Even so, the filepaths should still have worked, so I’m not sure how this might have happened. I’ll look into the file locations of all the textures again to try and be sure.

1st thread source: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-shading-lighting-and/issue-with-arnold-rendering/td-p/6926189

2nd thread source: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-shading-lighting-and/error-texturesys-unspecified-oiio-error/td-p/7199906

Autodesk knowledge network page: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Maya-Arnold-Texturesys-error.html

Arnold Issues

Would it be inappropriate to title this entry ‘i’m in hell’? probably.
But i am in hell. 100%.
Just when I finally thought I had the scene finally sorted, file paths and all, issues have come up with the arnold renderer. When I finished populating the scene I decided to do a quick test render to ensure everything was in order for when it was passed on to the others, but the renderview window either came up horribly pixelated (not even just noisy, the image was made up of about 32 squares), or just plain black, and it froze if you tried to switch between camera views.
This is probably the last thing we need so close to the deadline.
I tried looking up how to solve the issue and eventually came across a suggestion to untick the ‘abort on error’ box in the render settings.

I tried doing this and its kind of worked. Arnold is now “properly” rendering the scene, but now certain textures are completely missing despite the file path editor showing that they should be resolved and working fine.
I’m going to try another suggestion from the same thread but it’s a code thing, and I’m nothing if not an idiot when it comes to coding.
Worst comes to worst I’ll have to redo the entire scene again, which is painful to think about but if thats the only way to fix it then that’s what i’ll do.

Thread source: http://forums.cgsociety.org/t/arnold-renders-a-black-screen/1756751