Week 3

Things are progressing pretty well so far. I began putting together the previs sequence that will be the basis of our final piece using simple blockouts to stand in for assets currently being created by our modellers.
The designs for the robot, hip and cooling tower – our main assets – were finalised by our concept artists and we passed them on for the first stage of modelling.
A few of our other simpler models were created by others on our team. They work well and fit the concept art aswell as the scene of our project, however I had some issues placing them in out scene as they weren’t scaled properly. I had to rescale them myself in scene, which was inconvenient. Hopefully after some reminding they’ll remember to ensure their maya scale is set to meters when they next get to work on new assets.

The feedback received on some of our previs sequences was really helpful for improving the flow of our sequence overall. Now it feels less janky and is nicer to watch than our first version. Hopefully I can start adding more of our assets to the scene before Thursdays presentation.

One issue though I’ve found is that a lot of people are lax when it comes to posting their assets and progress on Shotgun. Sometimes despite multiple prompts the director, Morty, and I find that there’s still little activity from some members of our team. This is something we’ll have to try and address moving forwards.