Week 10 and 11

Hey again. The final update before Easter officially begins and there’s a lot to cover so let’s just jump right into it.

First and foremost and decided it was finally time to put an animation onto the glider. I thought this would be hard but it’s actually easier than I thought it would be. Basically once the player has jumped and then hit a glider it will then go into the animation and do a jump end animation once the player hits the ground, joining back to the main animation loop.

The animation itself has the player rocking back and fourth so I changed the glider to rock alongside the character instead of rocking left and right which also solves a glitch where the player might land and stay tilted to one side. This also looks better than it did so it’s a win-win. I also added a coin animation to the player when the fly through a ring.

Glider Animation Blueprint

With the UI I tried to have the icons spin like in the Banjo-Kazooie games. The only way I knew to do this was to make a green box that surrounds the appropriate item with a camera in it that would use a render target to stream what the camera sees to the HUD. This did work but it made the frame rate sink like a stone so I had to scrap it in favour of static images. Each corner is dedicated to life, coins, red coins and keys respectively.

UI

At the end of the level there are two keys locked behind doors that require you to collect all coins and red coins respectively. This is designed to entice players to return through the level to look for collectables they may have missed and to 100% complete the level. The plan is to do something similar for the end level door but I have not decided if to make it open for around 75% of collectables collected or 100% collected yet. We’ll cross that hurdle when we get to it and test it. I also need to increase the visibility of the text somewhat. It looks better in engine I promise.

End level doors

To get around the level I have placed portals all over the level that leads to a new portal island. At the start of the level the only portal that is active is the portal in the starting area that leads to portal island and back. Portal island only has 4 portals that leads to the 4 distinct areas in the level. They are not active at first. To activate each portal on portal island you need to find the portal it is linked which activates it and it’s respective portal on portal island by going near it. The level also has one way portals that lead to portal island but not back. These portals are found at the end of sections that would otherwise lead to a dead end.

Portal Island

Inactive Portal
Active Portal

Next up I need to get menus in, the end game screen in and sounds. I’m going to show a video off for all these when I get sounds in.

Thanks for reading and stay safe

Jamie