Week 7 and 8

Hey there, sorry for the delay between blog posts. Things got a little hectic. I also had to worry about my winter school creative writing deadline which kept me busy for a few days. At the end of the post I’ll have a video showing off everything shown so far. So without wasting more time let’s get right into it.

Week 7 was dedicated to finishing off my level design. I started where I left off and made some jumping puzzles with moving platforms. There are platforms that move up and down, left to right and ones that fall when you jump on them after a few seconds. After a few of these is another glider section which introduces a wind funnel that launches the player upwards

Aerial screenshot of the jump puzzle area
Glider Challenge

The next portion of the level leads in to three different sections. One is an on rails section with obstacles to avoid. This leads to the end of the level. This gives the player a chance to go to the end of the level or continue exploring. The end of the monorail section will have the end level door that needs a certain amount of collectables to open.

On rail section

The next portion of the level is a section of challenges based on crates floating in the water. The crates bob when you walk on them. The yellow crates stay afloat when you stand on them. The grey crates sink when you stand on them for a few seconds. Some of the crates move left to right and up and down. There is also a section where the path splits off for a collectable. More on that later.

Crates floating in the water

Another portion of the level has a wall jump that leads to a jumping challenge using the launch pads. This leads to a glider section.

launch pad section
3rd glider section

I’ll show all these off in a video at the end along side what I did in week 8

In week 8 I set to work on my checkpoints system. The way this works is that when the player falls off of the map they will be moved to the last checkpoint that they have stepped on. The checkpoints are a ring of flowers on an elevated platform. When they are activated for the first time they will change colour and do a short hop in the air so the player knows it has been activated for the first time.

Inactivate Checkpoint
Active Checkpoint

I also made the collectables. There are 3 different types.  The coin is the most frequent collectable and there are 200 of them. The red coin is the more difficult ones to find that rewards players for exploring. There are 20 of them. The keys are the biggest collectable that rewards players for reaching certain points in the level and completing challenges. There are 10 of them. They also spin and place and jump up or move upwards when collected and play a sound. The sounds are place holder for the moment.

Thanks for reading