Week 6

For this week I wanted to do a little more level design and make a new mechanic.

With where I left off with the level design I received feedback that it looks like I should be able to glide off into the distance. So I made a hang glider that lets you do exactly that.  While I could not find an actual hang glider model online that I could use I decided I could make a hang glider by putting two leaves together which fits aesthetically with the rest of the game and feels similar to the gliding with a leaf in the legend of zelda: wind waker.

How the glider works is that the glider model is also attached to the player model but is set to invisible. When the player touches the glider that actor is destroyed and the glider on the player model is set to visible and the gravity changes so that the player falls slowly.

Glider Functionality

I also made it so that the ground pound and double jump are disabled while gliding so you cannot cancel out of a glide. I also added a wind thermal that sends the player spinning upwards to gain more height. While I don’t have any effects for the thermal yet I’ll add one in when I do the other effects.

More Glider functionality
Wind Thermal Functionality

I also added rings that the player can fly through. This will give the player a coin and disappear when flown through. I will add the coin functionality when I do the rest of the collectable functionality.

On a side note I should mention that me blueprints are colour coded. Anything to do with gliding is in green and normal jumping blueprints are in purple. The camera blueprints are in blue. That’s why all the blueprints in this post are blue.

Next week I’ll be focused on trying to finish the level design as I got a little side tracked with the glider to make much level design. I also need to get an animation for hanging on to the glider and figure out how to apply it. Here is a video of the glider and the other things mentioned above

Thanks

Jamie