Week 5

So for this week I decided to create some mechanics before I go back into some more level design.  I have made a video at the end of this post showing off the mechanics talked about in this post.

The first mechanic I wanted to make was a jump pad. I made this jump pad so that the player can jump to higher areas that they cannot get to naturally. I also disabled the double jump while in this jump so that it stays fluid. The double jump becomes re-enabled when the player lands on the ground again. The icon on the launch pad spins faster when the player goes near it enticing them to use it. Here are the blueprints for the launch pad.

Launch pad BP#1
Launch pad BP#2

The next mechanic I set out to make is a ground pound. This was a suggestion to me by another student so that the player can get to the ground faster which is helpful in some platforming scenarios such as quickly getting onto a moving platform.

Ground pound BP

I also made a wall jump. I didn’t want to player to be able to jump off of any wall as I thought that might make the game a bit glitchy if they jump next to a wall. Instead the player jumps off of certain walls that has scaffolding on them. This is done by using a line trace and seeing if the wall has the wall jump collision enabled. If it does then the player will jump upwards and in the opposite direction to the adjacent wall.

Wall Jump BP#1
Wall Jump BP#2

While not technically a mechanic I made the camera automatically adjust with the player movement. Players will play this game with a controller and the camera does not move at all with the character by the default in Unreal Engine 4. You can move the camera with the right analogue stick but it moves like a tank by default and it’s clunky to use while jumping. So I made it that the camera will follow the player and this can be adjusted later on if needed as I have made the floats that would need to change public for ease of access.

Camera Auto Adjust BP

For next week I am going to do more level design and another mechanic. Here is the video containing all the mechanics featured above.

Thanks for reading

Jamie