Categories
Uncategorised

Week 7

This week I tried to recreate the main helmet. I decided that the best way to go about doing this was to first create a template made from lines and curves that would follow the general shape of the helmet. I wanted these to be as accurate as possible so I followed some of the photo reference I had. Once these lines were in place I started positioning the scales, one at a type. I started with the top row and went row by row all the way down. Once I had all of the scales in place, I next needed to create the inner lining of the helmet, I did this via poly modelling, following the shape the scales had created. I found this quite difficult and the end result didn’t resemble the references.

After review I decided that I needed to start again placing the scales as the current artefact didn’t look very natural or look like the references. Next week I am going to focus on creating the scales once again, however this time I am going to focus more on the placement and try to use more scales to fill any holes.

Categories
Uncategorised

Week 6

During week 6 I spent my time trying to work on some of the small details of the artefact rather than the main body. I decided I was going to try and create the yin and yang symbol that was going to be placed on the front of the helmet. I wanted this detail to be detailed and have an interesting shape rather than just being a flat cylinder with a basic texture placed over it. I decided the best way to go about creating this detail would be to sculpt a high poly version of the emblem and bake it onto a low poly cylinder. I chose to use blender to sculpt these details as it is the sculpting tool I am most familiar with. To go about sculpting I first tryied to manually paint the yin yang shapes onto a flat cylinder, however I found this to be quite difficult as I could not get it to look uniform and flat where I wanted it to. To overcome this I created an image which contained the yin yang symbol which I then used as a stencil within the sculpting tool. I then refined and beveled the edges to make it look more smooth and appealing. After this, I exported both the low and high poly models and imported them into substance painter to bake and texture.

 

These were the results of the bake, I am quite happy with then and think they are suitable to use in the final asset.

Another thing I decided this week is that I am going to change my method of creating the main shape of the helmet. Previously, I was trying to use a combination of arrays and curve modifiers to try and wrap a flat layout around the head, however I couldn’t get this to produce the shape I wanted without causing distortions.

Categories
Uncategorised

Week 5

In week 5 I started to try and create an actual asset which would resemble my final artefact, I also tested out a few methods and tools which may be useful during the final production. The first thing I did was create a low poly and high poly variant of one of the scales, which I was going to repeat across the whole helmet.

However, the low poly variant may need adjustment or to be replaced completely in future, as I think at may contain unnecessary details which are causing the poly count to be much higher than suitable.

After creating the scales, I used an array modifier to create a helmet scale pattern, which would then be rotated and curved around to create the main body of the helmet, this ending up looking quite good.

Once I had created and tweaked this pattern, I imported a pre-made base mesh for the head to see how it would actually fit the skull and look in context.