Good evening readers!
Easter has come and gone and due to that, I have not been able to update my blog and I forgot to update before the holidays started. I did take one week off (and one weekend) during the easter break. I understood that I needed to take a break to help my motivation and well being.
This blog post will be about Week 10, 12 and 13 as my break was week 11. The project is getting near the end due to the deadline restriction. The work completed has been mainly polish or continuation of level creation.
During these weeks, I had it in my mind that the deadline for this project was the 10th of May. I schedule the project accordingly. This in my mind was the way to go. However, during week 13, I discovered from peers that the deadline was the 3th, not the 10th. I started to panic and get worried. I then took a step back and evaluated the project and what needed doing. The original plan was to create a playable first level introducing mechanics, a playable second level with puzzles and a playable third level for story elements (cinematic ending). After the discovery of the deadline dates, I changed the plan.
My plan now is to create a playable first level (which is completed) and just to design and create the other two levels. Once the levels are done, I will analysis them to show what I was going to do and discuss why I couldnt. I will still be happy with a first playable level and being able to show off the other levels. After the project, I will continue on with this project to make those levels completely playable. That being said, let’s get into what has been done.
Firstly, the camera and character pathing has been updated. The camera now follows a similar path to the character during gameplay as smoothly as possible. However, I have encountered a problem with this. The camera will snap during sharper bends instead of following the path. At this moment in time, I have not be able to solve the problem (with what I thought was causing it) nor have I fully understood what is currently going on. This problem will be one I focus on before the hand in.
Secondly, the village level has come a long way since the last blog post. Instead of only being a paper design, it is now a physical level with the correct paths. The building placement has also started. However, it does take longer than I thought to create a village without set dressing yet.
In addition to inside the village, outside of it has also been started. This is to make the two levels join up. This will be achieved by having fewer and fewer trees around the closer the player gets to the village.
Thirdly, the third level, the temple, has been started. The path layout has been created and then next step is to create the environment. I will post once that has been created. The temple will be the end of the prototype game. The player will walk towards the temple and cinematics will play showcasing the environment. My aim is to get the level completed at least.
Fourthly, the first level now has UI prompts to tell the player to use the “action button” to complete the simple puzzle. This is indicated with the use of In Game widgets instead of on screen widgets. I wanted to make the project seem like the player can picture themselves walking within the levels. This can be achieved with no UI elements, to help immerse the player. However, for the progression required in the game, the use of UI had to be implimented.
Finally, I have created cinematics for when the player enters and leaves the village. The reason behind this was to show the player what level awaits them and helps them understand why they are going. For the sake of the village level, the cinematic shows how vast the village is and will also show the player that they must leave the village to venture to the temple seen in the distance. This process has helped me develop my camera work and my use of level sequencers. The next cinematic within the village is when the player leaves. This cinematic shows again the temple shown previously but in more detail. These cinematics are use to help guide the players through the level, show off focal points, show off the environment created and help the player understand where they are going. I will post gifs of the cinematics in due course.
As stated before, my aim is to create the first level fully playable with some set dressing elements. The other levels are to be created but not playable before the deadline. However, they possible could be playable by the time ExpoTees arrives where I can showcase my work to game companies.
All in all, I am somewhat happy with my progress. I wish I had more time before the deadline to get what I original set out to do but I understand the reasons behind that and have come up with a compromise. I will consult my supervisor to make sure that is enough work for my aim to get my first class degree.
Thank you all for reading. Tune in next time for some more progress shot during the week and then one last blog post before the hand in!