Hi, can you hear me?

I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve heard / used this phrase this week…and it’s only Wednesday! COVID-19 has plunged the entire world into the deep end of the remote working pool and we’re all desperately trying not to drown…

…which is why I’ve started this blog. All these random observations, anecdotes and tips on the dash to online lecturing that are currently swimming around in my head are serving no purpose other than to keep me from sleeping. They’re far better shared with the universe in the remote chance someone finds them useful. So here goes…

Observation #1: It feels like the first day of school

I’ve been lecturing for over 8 years now (OK, still a baby compared to some) and I’ve always felt quite confident about it. And I like to think of myself as an early adopter of L&T tech in my department. So online lecturing should be a breeze, yeah? HAHAHAHA no. I did my first online lecture yesterday and I haven’t felt that nervous since my first lecture ever. I’ll go into the specifics of the lecture itself in another post but I really wasn’t expecting to feel that way going into it. It was a reminder for me that no matter how proficient we think we are in something, there will always be experiences that take us out of our comfort zone and catch us off guard. Instead of shying away from these experiences we should embrace them in all their butterfly-inducing glory, and our lives will be that much richer for it.

In the spirit of sharing something cheerful in these difficult times, I’ll close with an earworm that’s been stuck in my head for days (apologies to my neighbours who’ve had to listen to my Nina Simone impression on repeat):

Until next time…