Week 3: Concept Art and Level Blockout

Between this week and last week, I started drawing thumbnail layouts and designs for a small portion of a single-player level. Having a batter idea of the playable space, I created concept art at the same time as a very rudimentary block-out for the level. I decided to tackle both at the same rather than separately so I can gauge the amount of room the player would have when playing the level.

The first block-out based from initial design was more of an experiment of space and movement. The main room was the main focus as I considered aspects such as enemy spawn-points, and map flow.

Once I had a better idea of space, I started on some concept art based off what I had at the time. I focused more on aesthetics and the purpose of the facility itself and designated a role to the different rooms. I also included some concept art for a hero asset.

A gore nest is an interactive object in DOOM which when destroyed will spawn a large number of enemy demons. The gore nest here is of similar aesthetics but a design of my own.

To help me progress with my level design and block-out I needed the game to play similar to DOOM to get an appreciation for scale and movement. I went into the settings of the First Person Character and changed the movement speed, friction, field of View, player gravity, jump height, added double jump, granted full aerial control and moved the gun to the centre of the screen in an attempt to try and emulate the movement and physics of DOOM .

I started a second block-out level which closer resembled the scale and aesthetics of the concept art I created.

The goal of the upcoming week is to finish my block-out and start creating environment assets and materials for the scene.