Categories
Uncategorised

Week 7

I’ve been working on trying to create the base of the glaive, however it has been difficult. I initially attempted to create it the same way I created the blade of the glaive, however that idea quickly faded when what I was able to create wasn’t what I wanted to create – it was too blocky rather than round. Because of that, I instead decided to create the base from a cylinder and cone.

First, the cylinder. This was easy enough as all I had to do was pinch in the edges of the cylinder around the centre. I could do this with either a lattice or with the soft select tool, but because I wanted to have it be relatively even on all sides I opted to use the soft select tool. This would allow me to maintain a consistent cylindrical shape. The cone was where things got a bit more difficult as I would have to manipulate the entire shape to fit my concept art. The most reasonable way I could think to do this is by manipulating the verts in the shape, leaving the ones at the base exactly how they originally were so that it would be able to connect to the cylinder, which makes up the other half of the shape.

Categories
Uncategorised

Week 6

Having finished the pole last week, I intended to complete the blade and maybe even the base of the spear this week.

The blade takes priority, so I decided to try modelling that first. I ran into a few issues though, and it took a lot of trial and error.

First of all, I tried to make the blade using the create polygon tool. While initially, I liked the outcome, I realised that I had created the polygon over the sharp edge of the blade. I went back and created another polygon just around the flat edge of the blade but it still bothered me. It wasn’t as smooth as I would have wanted, even though this is just the low poly version of my glaive. I looked into other ways I could create the glaive and decided to use a lattice around a cube instead.

Using this technique I was able to produce the basic shape of the glaive and make its shape look relatively smooth. I removed any unnecessary verts along some of the edges in order to optimise the shape a bit before extruding some of the edges to begin creating the sharp edge of the blade.

I chose very specific edges to extrude considering I wanted to make both the outer edge of the glaive and an edge connected to an extra part of the glaive sharp – the latter of the two was significantly more difficult to create.

For the outer edge, I did not have to adjust many things other than the location of some of the verts to make the edges appear smoother and flow more with the general shape of the blade, as well as to make it look more like the concept art for this weapon. The more inner edge was a bit more difficult to create though as it would have to curve round. After moving two of the edges inwards to create the sharp appearance of the edges, there was an issue with one of the edges and it did not look the way I intended. After experimenting for a bit, I found that my issue could be fixed by simply adding in a multi-cut and adjusting a couple of the verts.

All I had to do after this was adjust the hardness and softness of the edges.

Unfortunately I did not have the time to create the base of the glaive this week.

Categories
Uncategorised

Week 5

Last week I completed, compiled and selected which of the concepts I produced I would turn into a 3D model. I’m doing this in Maya 2022. I’ve started by creating the pole of the weapon since that’s the main part of the weapon as a whole. I did this using the CV curve tool with the settings adjusted slightly.

Because of the axis I was creating the weapon on, I had a bit of trial and error. Initially, I was going to make the pole and the rings around it separate so that it would be easier to texture, but this just brought about more issues and complexities, so I dropped that idea to produce the pole and the rings as part of one model. The way I unfold it later would help make this easier  instead.

My first mistake was revolving the curve on the Y-axis, which completely messed the intended model up. I changed the axis I revolved it on and this fixed the first issue I was having, however I noticed shortly afterwards that the pole was slightly too thick. I hadn’t centred it on the axis so it was revolving slightly larger than I wanted. Additionally, there was a small hole at the top and bottom of the pole. I went back to before I revolved the curve and adjusted its position so that it would align with the axes. Only then did I revolve, causing the pole to look much better.

I did a quick cleanup of the geometry. Because I had revolved the pole to have 28 segments, it ended up with 28 verts at either end of the pole, whereas it should have only had 1 at either end. This was a quick fix, as all I had to do was merge the verts to improve my geometry.

My next step after this will be to add the blade and base of the glaive. There’s a few ways I can create these, so I will be experimenting with those over the next few weeks.